Manic Mom's Mental Myriads

Stop by and have a laugh from Manic Mom's Mental Myriads on Motherhood, and some other stuff too, but mostly motherhood, wifehood, thoughts on writing, etc. No politics will be discussed here or geography, and I will not be solving any mathematical equations. Just some BS on whatever I feel like blogging on...

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Tennis Balls

Have you ever played this mental mind game? I'm not even sure if maybe I'm the only psycho in the world that does this. For instance, these are some of the nutso things I think in my head:

When I was trying to get pregnant, I would think in my mind: If Scott didn't drink all the orange juice in the fridge, then I'll be pregnant this month.

If I drop the soap in the shower, then I'll have a crappy day, but then, after I drop it, if I accidentally drop it again, then the day turns good again.

If I get this damn eyebrow hair plucked out on the first try, then Diva will not be a brat today.

If I am able to poop before I go to weigh in at Weight Watchers, then the number on the scale will not be that bad.


So, after last night's whatever-you-want-to-call-it -- depression over not being organized, not having a routine, not being the perfect wife, mother, friend, sister, daughter, niece, lover, whatever I am at whatever time of day it is, I told Scott I wanted to work out a 'schedule' in which I go to bed at a normal hour (wow, there's a thought!) and try to get in some exercise in the morning, which I'm all about because I know it will make me feel better. So, I'm shooting for the 6 a.m. wake-up-and-walk call (I know, I know, I tried this like a week ago!), and then lights out by no later than 11, but preferably 10.

Digressing here. Back to my mind game, which I had to preface with the 6 a.m. thing because as I was walking this a.m., I walked by a house where two girls had been playing tennis yesterday. They had had a large bucket of tennis balls that they were hitting against the garage door and letting them fly across the street, over their house, onto the golf course behind their house. Everywhere.

So, this morning on my walk, I said to myself, If I see a tennis ball still lying around, then it'll be a good day.

I didn't see one.

But then, on my return route home, I hadn't been thinking about the tennis ball at all, I'm not sure what I was thinking about, but suddenly I was aware that I was right back in front of the tennis ball house, and just for the heck of it, I turned my head in the direction of their yard, and wouldn't ya know it, there was one lone fluorescent yellow-green ball hidden in the shrub that I couldn't have seen on my pass by the house previously.

Does this mean it's going to be a good day? I sure as heck hope so. I deserve one, darn it!

Hope your day is a good one too, and please leave me a comment if you also make up crazy mind games in your head too! I don't want to be the only one!

6 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger bevontheroad said...

every morning if i don't put on my right sock first and my left shoe first I will have an unlucky day. i also do this throughout the day.

i thought i was the only crazy one. *sigh of relief*

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohh, i do it too! if i don't brush my teeth before i get in the shower, but after i pee, it's a weird day...

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Devon said...

hmmm.. As long as I get out of the same side of the bed every morning and when I go downstairs the kitchen is clean, the day will be good.

I didn't wake up to a clean kitchen this morning and waddaya know- the line in Starbucks was too freakin long so I didn't get a mocha like I wanted. then a bee stung the bottom of my bare foot and I couldnt find the can opener to open a can! *sigh* Hope your day rocked! ;)

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger The Dummy said...

You're not crazy Manic Mom! I like to count the number of steps I go up or down, and I've been known to think of the same things you do, except mine is like, "I'll bet my life that so-so will happen or won't" - a bit more dramatic, because it sucks having to justfy why I shouldn't just kick the bucket right then!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Mo said...

yup...I do it too! the deals ("if I see an egret on my morning walk, it'll be a good day"); the counting ("odd number of steps good/ even numbers, bad)...so nice to know there are other *weirdos* like me!

(sort of 'off-topic', but do you 'guess' who's on the phone, before you answer it? )

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Randy said...

Ack...I do this too, but sometimes in the reverse.

Like: if I don't clear those dishes, something really horrible will happen.

Unless I close and lock my bedroom door, someone will break in tonight. (Strangely, after my little doggie died, I abandoned that one...now it's: if I don't leave the door open, something bad will happen. Go figure.)

If I wash one more load of laundry, my mammogram will come out okay.

If I pick up that sock that's been sitting on the floor for five days, my dad will have a pain-free day.

Ooooh, don't even get me started on the guilt trips I lay on myself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home