Manic Mom's Mental Myriads

Stop by and have a laugh from Manic Mom's Mental Myriads on Motherhood, and some other stuff too, but mostly motherhood, wifehood, thoughts on writing, etc. No politics will be discussed here or geography, and I will not be solving any mathematical equations. Just some BS on whatever I feel like blogging on...

Saturday, May 07, 2005

And Then There Are These Weird Things Too...

I used to have to sleep on the furthest side of the bed from the bedroom door, in case an intruder came in, they would get Scott first.

I have to check each child about six times before I go to bed to make sure they're still breathing (as they've gotten older, I've gotten better at refraining from this.

If I go pee before bed, then as soon as I get off the toilet, even if I think the word PEE, I will have to go and squeeze some more out, just because I thought about it and if I didn't go pee once more, I would get into bed and it would just drive me crazy thinking that I would have to get up again to pee. This one drives me freaking crazy!

Before my mother or I take a flight she and I both have to call one another but only on the departure flight, never necessary on the return. My mom will call me even if her flight's at 6 a.m. It's okay for me to turn off the phone so she can leave a message though... that still counts.

I save every voice mail Scott leaves me on the phone and either he can be the only one to delete them, or I can delete them ONLY if he is in my presence at the time of deletion. Same goes for voice mails from my mom, dad, or children. (Also, of course, I couldn't delete the voice mail Brooke Shields left on my phone when I was trying to get in touch with her for an interview!)

Scott and I have to kiss each other every time we take an escalator at the mall, airport, sporting event, wherever they have escalators.

I cannot/do not want to taste-test anything I am cooking to make sure it's done. I always have to have someone else taste it. Yes, I do want to eat it, but for some reason, testing a sauce, or a noodle, or a piece of chicken to make sure it's done just bothers me.

Scott and I "butter" each other before bed. Now, don't go getting any freaky ideas. We call toothpaste butter--as in, "did you butter me tonight?" When we are having an argument or if he (or I for that matter) has pissed me off (or I, him), refusal to butter opponent spouse just defines how mad we really are at one another.

I really don't have any problems using public bathrooms, but have become more of a germ-ophobic the older I get (I guess I just thought I would share that one because I do have a friend or two -- you know who you are! -- who refuse to use public bathrooms and freak out if I mention I am going to go poo in Walmart's facilities!)

I never leave the dryer on when I leave the house; this is more of a precautionary measure and not a habit of sorts. Our dryer is really old and it's going to kick it soon (very soon, I hope, so I can get a front-loader and washer!) and I'm afraid it is going to explode while I'm gone. Same thing for at night. I will not let it go when we are sleeping.

I am sure there are more OCD-ish things I do, but I'm stumped for now. What are your quirks?

Oh, by the way, Happy Mother's Day to those of you celebrating your children, or even if you are awaiting the dreams of a pregnancy. I wish you all much happiness! Because no matter how much I gripe and bitch about Diva, Ajers and Tukey, they are my complete reason for being. Simple as that. And yes, want to know what I asked for for Mother's Day? I bet I'm the only one who requested a front screen door! Now, if that ain't Manic, you better just go find yourself another Manic Mom to hang out with!!

And finally--I am now of Latino descent and being called Juanita by close family and friends for the colorist today was a little, how shall we say, "highlight happy" with my usual dark brown-reddish, okay, chestnutty locks. For some reason, I now look Hispanic. Adios, y Cumplanos de Madre, or something like that! : )

11 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Devon said...

OMG! I do the pee thing too!

I also have to have a heavy comforter over me when I sleep. Even if the AC is not on and it's 110 degrees out, I still sleep with a comforter pulled up to my ears.

I'm sure I have other weird things, but I can't think of them right now!

HAPPY MOMS DAY!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Gabs said...

You are HILARIOUS!!! love it.

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I mention that I am getting my minor in psychology??? LOL

I have a problem with OCD as well. I check the girls before bed (a habit my dog also has now) and I clean my ears several times a day. I can't stand the wet feeling I have in my ears. I guess it isn't really OCD when there is actually fluid in my ears...but from an outsider's view, it appears that I have an OCD thing going.

A lot of people claiming to have OCD actually just have a routine. And that routine is very important...I could go on and on but I won't! LOL

Happy Mother's Day!!!
~Charity

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Nancy French said...

Anytime that people discuss bugs around me, I have to uncontrollably scratch my nose.

Anytime people mention a certain word, it drives me crazy. Like fingernails down a chalkboard.

The word?

Nougat.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Nougat, nougat, nougat, nougat! LOL Nancy!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger ACG said...

Steph,

You commented on my blog that you are pretty sure you know who I am. After reading that list of OCD/ADD thangs you got going on, if you were a 25yr old guy, you could be my ex-boyfriend.

ACG

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger ACG said...

Nancy,

Like I am going to be able to resist talking about bugs and nougat next time I see you.

ACG

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

ACG--Or how about we talk to Nancy about nougatty bugs!?!?!?! See, I knew I "knew" you from somewhere! Through Nancy--and I don't just know her from blogging, I know her from real life!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Thanks to everyone for the HMD wishes! Hope all you muthas had a nice day too (ya know, Mother's only half a word!)

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger ACG said...

Steph--

I know a very limited married women with kids. Even less who use to live in Philly.

You have gotta email me chica! :-)

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Karyn Lyndon said...

Boy, do I suddenly feel more normal. The only thing I can think of anywhere near obsessive is telling my kids to be careful when they're driving somewhere...like that's going to make a difference...

(Why do I suddenly have an uncontrollable urge to ride the mall escalator with my husband?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home