Manic Mom's Mental Myriads

Stop by and have a laugh from Manic Mom's Mental Myriads on Motherhood, and some other stuff too, but mostly motherhood, wifehood, thoughts on writing, etc. No politics will be discussed here or geography, and I will not be solving any mathematical equations. Just some BS on whatever I feel like blogging on...

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Dream Defenses

Is there a word / name for that feeling you get when you're having a dream and the bad part is about to happen so your body psychologically tells itself to "WAKE UP BECAUSE THE BAD PART IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN!" Does the human body suddenly warm up and go into fight or flight mode at this point in a dream? Because I was having a bad dream last night and when the bad part was going to happen, my body completely gets hot, and it feels like all the blood rushes through each and every vein, and there are like little tiny men jumping up and down inside of each vein and they're yelling at me to wake up so I don't have to dream the bad part!? Maybe these tiny little dream buster men are in kayaks paddling very hard through the streams of my veins, rushing to get to every part of my body to tell it to wake up. That's what I think happens anyway.

Does this happen to everyone, or am I just weird? Wait, don't answer that.

So I was dreaming I was at some place where there was a shark show, kind of like a dolphin show and part of the event was that the shark picks out a person in the audience to eat. So, the shark picked an adult victim, and I don't remember if he ate that victim or not, or even if it was a man or a woman. But then, the shark was supposed to pick out a child victim, and Diva was the only one with me, and I tried to keep her shielded from the view of the shark because I didn't want him to choose her for lunch. And I kept telling myself, "Oh God, he's going to pick her. Not my little girl, please don't pick her!"

And that's at the part where the little kayak guys jumped into their boats inside of my veins and started rushing through each part of my body, from the top of my head to the very ends of my toes I could feel me go all hot and scared. The kayak guys tricked my brain into focusing on the change of temperature of my body, and they woke me up from my bad dream before the really bad part happened.

Thanks Kayak Dream Guys! You saved my Diva.

10 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Okay, that's weird.

I'm a lucid dreamer, which means I dream like a movie, not in spurts, and I dream in color. I also have control triggers set up (have since I was around 10) to let me realize it's not real, that it's a dream, and I have control. When things get really bad (which they often do), I look for my trigger. It's almost always there, and then I just keep on dreaming, knowing I'm safe, to see where the dream takes me. If I CAN'T find the trigger, then it gets really nasty and panicky.

So do you still feel weird after reading THAT??

Sorry you had a stressful sleep. Sounds like a nap is needed this afternoon!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Hey Brenda--I must be lucid too. I thought I was just loose! Ha. Do many people not dream in color--I always do and have movie-like dreams and spurt dreams. I guess maybe I have my own trigger that wakes me up then, right? Sometimes in my sleep, I'm still dreaming but I'm able to tell myself, "Hey, it's just a dream." How do you find your trigger? That's interesting! No naptime--we're hosting a freaking BBQ!

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger familiaoconnell said...

I dream with spanish subtitles..first visit to your blog, very much enjoyed.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger eyes_only4him said...

ok..I so no the feeling...it is creepy...you wake up full of sweat..you can feel your heart pounding...and you thank the Lord it was all a dream...yup..been there many times..:)

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...so why would you go to a shark show that ate people as a finale?

I had a bad dream about driving off a bridge, and I had to save both my kids. It was right after a new mom told me she doesn't go anywhere without her husband if she doesn't have to because she is afraid that something will happen and she will have to chose what child to save...

It was freaky...I saved them both (Yay go mom) but it was a hard thing to deal with.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Devon said...

Oh, the kids thing by Charity, that is SUCH a fear of mine! And since I have 3, even if I brought hubby, I would still have to choose and I don't know why but it scares the crap out of me! I seem to have aquired unreasonable fears since having children.

As for dreaming, I do the same thing. I always wake up before the bad part. I wish I could lucid dream. Is there a way you can train yourself to do it?

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Nancy French said...

I wish I had some of those little men to wake me up == I just dreamt I burst into song right in the middle of our very liturgical worship service... I guess I thought it was time to sing, so I just belted it out. Everyone laughed.

I remembered as I was at church today,and I was extra careful to pay attention.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger eatmisery said...

I think subconsciously we wake ourselves up before we get hurt in our dreams. No one likes when bad things happen, whether it's really happening or not.

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Devon, it has gotten to the point like at the mall or someplace like that, where I am looking around thinking f who I would be able to hand one kid to while I chase the "bad person" to save the other.
Paranoid I know, but it just hits me sometimes. And all the bad people out there especially lately worries me.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Devon said...

Charity, When you go to the park or playground do you try to place all the moms/dads with their kids so you know there isn't some crazy sexual predator or kidnapper at the park with no child? I always pair the parents with their kids! I hope I'm not the only one!

I also kind of look for the nice looking moms who I would trust to hold the baby while I chase down my others (and the bad guy!).

We're just a paranoid generation, which is sad. My mom wasnt nearly so diligent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home