Manic Mom's Mental Myriads

Stop by and have a laugh from Manic Mom's Mental Myriads on Motherhood, and some other stuff too, but mostly motherhood, wifehood, thoughts on writing, etc. No politics will be discussed here or geography, and I will not be solving any mathematical equations. Just some BS on whatever I feel like blogging on...

Sunday, April 03, 2005

L M N O P Parenting Tips

I am finally feeling the effects of having older children. I no longer need to go out with a purse full of wipees and kid crap, and it's kind of nice to just have one cute little bag to carry, and a lot easier on the shoulders.

Another interesting thing I've discovered as the two older kids are learning to spell is that obviously we can't keep anything from them by spelling. My parents used to do pig Latin around us, and I look back now and think, "How stupid was I that I couldn't figure that out?" I've yet to try it in front of my kids because I think Scott doesn't know the language.

So, we've come up with a new code for spelling things we don't want the kids to know. Take the word school for instance, not that we would ever have to really be discreet about that word, but just for the example:

Before they could spell, I would say to Scott:

"The kids have S-C-H-O-O-L tomorrow."

Now, one of them will shout: SCHOOL!!!! We don't want to go to school.

New code. We spell the word we want to keep hidden, but then add alphabet to the end of the word, in sequential order. So, for the word school, we would spell it:
S-C-H-O-O-L-M-N-O-P-Q, or however many letters you feel like adding onto the secret word.

So far, it's working okay, except that after a couple Pool Boys last night, it started to get a little confusing, so I wouldn't advise this spelling tool while cocktailing.

Gotta Go N-O-W-X-Y-Z

4 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, pig latin, I never thought of that. We do alot of spelling right now, I guess I was kind of hoping my kids would never spell. heehee. Even sometimes when I spell something, my husband looks at me and I can see him mentally speling it out again in his head, If we can't decipher our spelling, will our kids be able to? ;)

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

LOL Devon--there are soo many times too when we spell and then we're like, DUH, what the hell did you just try to spell there?

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

That is awesome. My kiddo is 7 and he can spell now... I am so going to try that with my H-U-S-B-A-N-D-E-F-G. LOL

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Gloss-don't you mean, LOLMNOP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home