Manic Mom's Mental Myriads

Stop by and have a laugh from Manic Mom's Mental Myriads on Motherhood, and some other stuff too, but mostly motherhood, wifehood, thoughts on writing, etc. No politics will be discussed here or geography, and I will not be solving any mathematical equations. Just some BS on whatever I feel like blogging on...

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Serendipity and Self Indulgence

Cool, I have had as many viewers to this site as the last four digits to my home phone number. Do you think it's a sign? Possibly. Do I wish I had a larger four-digit ending to my phone number? Definitely!

Anyway, I did something I rarely, rarely do today, and I'm going to share it. It was purely decadent and self-indulgent. If you're Scott and you're reading this, (which I know you're not because I've practically shoved this link to my Blog in your face about a million times and you've yet to read all my innermost secretive thoughts--heh, heh, lucky me) I know you will disagree that what I did today is something I rarely, rarely do, but consider the day of the week that I did it. Never, never, never on a Thursday, or a weekday for that matter, and boy, I have to admit, it felt really, really good. So good, that I might have to do it again tomorrow.

I took a nap.

Completely alone in my house, with the phones off, the shutters closed, the covers all the way up over my head, and two pillows on top of my head (with just a tiny little airhole for breathing), just to make sure nothing woke me up. And, did it work? Was I successful in my attempt to shut out the world for an hour and a half? Because, a nap for me is no twenty-minute snooze, let me tell you! I need to be involved in my sleep.

Napping is an art, and if you do it right, it can be as pleasurable as eating a whole sleeve of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies in one sitting, or getting groped by a 23-year-old, or having a writing session that leaves you feeling drained and trancelike, or coming out of shivasana and "namastaying" one another before rolling up the matt and going back into the crazy-do-everything-for-everyone-else world. Yes, it did work. I slept magically, dreamlessly (yeah, no math! See previous post), restfully, peacefully.

And then, I was awakened by the sound of a garage door opening, my 'alarm clock' signalling that the children were home from school and I better get my ass out of that bed quick and start acting like the mother I am expected to be. So, I got out of bed, shook the sleepy yet satisfied feeling from my rested body, went downstairs, greeted my darlings, and headed out the door to pick up Tookie from school and indulge in one more decadent pleasure: anonfatsugarfreevanillalatteextravanillanofoambutabitofwhip.

However before ordering my latte, I did consider the old Chinese proverb*: Because too many good things in one day, makes for a very good day but doesn't leave much for tomorrow, I did exhibit some restraint and only ordered a Tall.

*Not really an old Chinese proverb--I just made it up but doesn't it sound like it could be one?

4 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the occational nap time and feel that nap time should be a required daily event.
How do you get the counter? I have tried to add one to my blog, not that it gets much traffic, but I would like a counter...anything ideas?

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Very funny :-)

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Charity--go to www.sitemeter.com and you'll have to copy the html code and then go under blogger dashboard to template I think, and paste the code down at the bottom somewhere. I don't know how I figured it out but I've actually got my counter on the bottom of the blog twice.
Thanks for reading Charity--I appreciate you checking out my blog!

BB--thanks so much for stopping by; I'm honored to have you here!

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks hun, I got it to work!
~Charity

 

Post a Comment

<< Home