Manic Mom's Mental Myriads

Stop by and have a laugh from Manic Mom's Mental Myriads on Motherhood, and some other stuff too, but mostly motherhood, wifehood, thoughts on writing, etc. No politics will be discussed here or geography, and I will not be solving any mathematical equations. Just some BS on whatever I feel like blogging on...

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Dinner Last Night

Okay, I continue to dream about the dinner I had last night and feel like describing every detail to anyone who is interested. Be prepared to wipe up drool!

We went to Catch 35, and again, I've got to learn how to link things in here so you can click on their site. I started off with a key lime martini, and it seriously took me the WHOLE night to drink it, as I'm still reeling from the events of a couple Fridays ago, and am not back to "fighting weight" in the drinking department. The other woman who was out with us agreed the martini was a bit 'heavy' and we both thought that a slice of actual cheesecake would have been lighter than the cocktail.

Appetizers: coconut battered shrimp which was good, typical, but did not include enough sauce for dipping, and that's not even a complaint, really, just a comment. And then we had Cape scallops in a puff pastry pocket with garlic butter sauce. My friend Pam--and I'm going to do a copy and paste right here to link you to her site efoodie(it's a great one for mouthwatering recipes and wine suggestions!)--raved about Cape scallops in her blog, and I had never heard of them until she blogged and then they were on the dinner menu last night. They're really only available about two months out of the year, and the only way to describe them are to say they are sweet and succulent (don't you love that word?) and delectable! (spelling?)

And during the appetizers, I'm still sipping the key lime martini, very slowly.

I then had a vine-ripened tomato salad with fresh mozzarella balls (ugh, doesn't that just sound perverted?). But it was delicious. And this, coming from a girl who didn't eat tomatoes until she was in her early thirties -- living near New Jersey for six years introduced me to 'Jersey tomatoes' and now I love them!

Dinner dilemma? Did I want a nice filet, or did I want seafood? I never order fish, and it's not to say I don't like it, but the options are too overwhelming to me. But I love crab, scallops, shrimp, so I guess you could say I'm not a big fan of the swimming underwater delacacies, but enjoy the little guys that crawl and scurry across the ocean floor, or simply just lie there, waiting to be caught in a big fat net for somebody's next meal.

I splurged.

I ordered the King Crab Legs and Filet and was quite satisfied with what I ordered until I grabbed the waitress to pull a "When Harry Met Sally" request.

"Wait! You were telling us about the steak oscar?"

"Yes, is that what you'd rather have?"

"Well, can I still get the King Crab Legs and Filet, but can you top my filet with the lump crab and bernaise sauce?"

"Of course."

I was beaming at the table, pleased with what I ordered, and when my plate was delivered, the delivery guy (who was not our server, just a food runner, I guess you would call him, and kinda cute, kinda young, kinda around the age of 23... what is it with me and lusting after twenty-three year olds these days! ha!) Anyway, HE was amazed by my order, and was commenting on it and how good it looked and I was like, "And guess what buddy? I'm eating the whole dang thing!"

And I did. It was soooo yummy. The crab legs were already sliced so it was easy to dislodge huge lumps of crab and then I tossed them into the drawn butter so they could soak a little bit (my sister taught me that one!). While the crab chunks soaked, I sliced the perfect filet and it melted in my mouth. It's really bad when you're moaning at the table over your meal in front of the guy your husband is trying to hire! Everybody had finished their meal and I was still eating and moaning, and going on and on about how awesome my food was. I could just keep talking about how great my meal was but I'm getting hungry again thinking about it and I don't have any leftovers because...

I ate it all.

And then, We ordered dessert. Flourless chocolate cake with a ganache filling with raspberry sauce, which I could take it or leave it when it comes to the sauce but the cake was fudgy, yummy. Not as good as Morton's version of this cake (where you have to order it in advance because it takes so long to prepare--but I'm on to them--they make you order in advance because when you're done eating your Morton's steak and your alacart baked potato, you're actually too full to eat dessert, but you've already order the $12 cake so there's no going back), but still, this flourless cake was really good.

And, we couldn't just order one dessert so we had a slice of the espresso-something-or-the-other cheesecake and it was heavenly! I'm not a big cheesecake fan, but it was soooo good. Why can't the internet people make a button so you could click on a link and actually have a taste of what I've described here because I would love to share with you, and I don't think my description has done justice to the meal.

Are you hungry now? I want to go back in time and eat that whole meal all over again! I think I've used up my Weight Watcher points for the next two months!

2 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of filet was it? That sounds fabulous and I wish we had a resturant around here that accomidating!!
~Charity

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Charity--it was a big ole whopping filet mignon with tons of lump crab cake on top and soooo yummy, my stomach still hurts from it! YUM!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home