Manic Mom's Mental Myriads

Stop by and have a laugh from Manic Mom's Mental Myriads on Motherhood, and some other stuff too, but mostly motherhood, wifehood, thoughts on writing, etc. No politics will be discussed here or geography, and I will not be solving any mathematical equations. Just some BS on whatever I feel like blogging on...

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Rejection = Depression + Worms

Why does Rejection make me want to eat? Why do I feel the need to rip open the Market Day cookie dough in the freezer and devour it all, after already finishing the baked cookies?

I received another Rejection email today, and for the first time I felt like maybe this isn't going to happen; maybe it's not supposed to happen. I felt like somebody kicked me in the gut. I feel this way right now.

But, all I want to do is to write, and if you keep getting notes from people saying "It's not for me," or "I'll have to bow out," or some other nice way of telling you your book is crap, then how do you keep believing that it's not?

Cookie dough awaits. I wish this crappy feeling would go away, but the only way for it to dissolve is to send out more letters to more agents, and get more Rejections from agents, in the hopes of finding that one trueagent love.

On another note: Never, ever, never, and may I repeat, NEVER let your daughter bring home a cute little Ziploc of acorns she discovered at G'ma and G'pa's home because inevitably, the little tiny creatures who live inside those acorns are going to want out, and when they come out, they will look like little maggoty larvae and will wriggle across the floor in your home, make you freak out that your children have some sort of worm disease, or that your pantry is infested with little larvae-like buggies, and that your whole house is completely disgusting and dirty and how can this be, and then you call Orkin who comes out right away, does some spraying, but cannot discover the source of the problem so you think, "Okay, maybe it was my imagination" but then you discover ANOTHER one of those squishy, mealy things and you tear the laundry room closet apart and discover the rotting acorns, the place of life and death of those squirmy, gross, disgusting, yucky thingies, which, by the way, the Orkin man did mention that they're just protein, and if I had been on Survivor, these worms are actually small enough that you could swallow one whole and probably not vomit it back up.

11 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger cubmommy said...

Tell the Orkin guy if that is true then lets see him eat one. Too gross.

I would not go far on Survivor.

Good luck with finding an agent. There is somebody out there for you!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Rejection sucks and I'm sorry you are going through it. I hate feeling rejected too... and like you, I go straight for the food. Chocolate anything is good. As long as it is way fattening and there is a lot of it... I AM IN!! My blog is making me feel rejected lately. Sucks. Again. I am sorry you're going through it... Go ahead and eat that cookie dough! I support you.
ps. your blurb about the acorns reminded me of when i did that very thing to my mom. oh man, did she freak out! (thanks for the resurfaced memory!)

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger thewriterslife said...

Sorry about the rejections, sweetie...I know all about'em. It can get you waaaaay down, but it will happen. Do this...say "This book (name the book) is going to get an agent/publisher." Do this every single day of life. Stop laughing! Who knows...it could work!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger eatmisery said...

Anything having to do with any kind of worms makes me ill.

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rejection ewww...I am about to blog about the same thing btw.

Worms...even more EEEWWWWW

I feel your pain hun!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger LDR said...

I'd have told the Orkin guy "Survive This!" as I was stuffing the bag of acorns up his butt and wishing him the best in it's removal....

I had ANTS this summer. Bad. Little black ones that came one by one into my kitchen. I've no idea where they came from. Grants kills Ants though... 'specially if you squish the little buggers with the box!

Sorry about the rejection notices. Just keep at the front of your mind that IT IS NOT YOU. Don't take it personally. It's all happening so that you can find your one trueagent love... it'll happen. You're talented as hell. Don't let anyone make you think you're not!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger momma of 2 said...

RECJECTIONS SUCKS, sorry you are going through it...I've started to keep a scrap book of all the rejections letters I have received in the last 3 months... maybe that isn't healthy mentally, but then again who said I was....

Wormmies... EWWW - Big Guy did this to us last fall, I totally flipped called Orkin, tossed all open packages in the food cupboard, vaccuum it out, and well - it ends up they were coming from his bedroom - he hid the acorns under his bed... say it with me - YUCK!!!

I hope you get a positive response soon!!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger momma of 2 said...

Something else you need to know - the first Harry Potter book - was tossed until some "nobody" at the publisher found it in the reject pile, read it, and begged her boss to take it on...and look at that series now...

(not that I know anyting - but I think I read that somewhere - or saw it on Oprah, who knows....)

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger her master said...

Just keep submitting your book, and keep on working on your next one. When you do get published, your readers will be waiting for your next book 'yesterday.'

My favorite book is Dune, by Frank Herbert. Here's a quote from a website:

"Frank Herbert’s Dune was initially rejected by a number of publishers until Chilton Books took a chance and published it in 1965. Described as the science fiction equivalent of The Lord of the Rings, Dune won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards and over its 40 year history has become the best-selling science fiction novel of all time."

And then there's that Sunday soap:

"Cherry can relate. With “Desperate Housewives,” he’d seen more rejection than a 5-foot-6 basketball player.

HBO said it wasn’t gritty enough. A CBS suit told him it was too dark for network chief Leslie Moonves’ taste. NBC supposedly was choosing between “Desperate Housewives” and another script, and chose the other. Fox thought it wasn’t right for the network. So did Lifetime.

ABC was willing to take the chance. With a miserable fourth-place showing last season, what did it have to lose?"

There are many more examples, Emily Dickinson being an extreme one, but you get the idea.

You're a writer, so just write and let determination and time work their magic.

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you cant give up, you have to try...and try...and try some more. after all, isnt that what youd tell your kids to do? to never give up and pursue what they're passionate about?

i want to read your writing regardless of publication-and you have a huge fan base already

ill even organize a street team to promote you!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger fin said...

Are you sure they're worms? Maybe they're millipedes, which have infested my backyard by the bucketloads....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home