Manic Mom's Mental Myriads

Stop by and have a laugh from Manic Mom's Mental Myriads on Motherhood, and some other stuff too, but mostly motherhood, wifehood, thoughts on writing, etc. No politics will be discussed here or geography, and I will not be solving any mathematical equations. Just some BS on whatever I feel like blogging on...

Monday, September 05, 2005

Mother's Little Helper - Anti-Depressants

Cyber Friend Erin asked me if I was the same Stephanie Elliot that is quoted in Parents magazine this month (I think it's the October issue). I am.

I haven't seen it yet but the article is about anti-depressants and mothers who use them.

I do take Effexor, and it has helped me through some rough spots when the kids were younger and when some close family members and a very close friend were going through some cancer treatments and I feared that every day I would find a lump in my breast. The anxiety I felt at that point in my life, coupled with taking care of three children ages four and under was enough to almost put me over the edge. I would scream over a spill, flip my lid over some crumbs and be frantic all the time, worrying about death, crying over the littlest things.

No more. And while I'm still on Effexor, and while I do joke about Xanax a lot, I am not dependant on drugs. Tom Cruise knows nothing about anything on the subject either. He has not been a mother trying to raise young children; he has not gone through the emotional, hormonal and physical stress of pregnancy, childbirth, delivery. Hell, he hasn't even raised babies--his children came into this life well after they were able to verbalize, use the toilet, dress themselves. So I don't want to hear anything from that guy!

Anyway, I've yet to check out the article; if you get a chance, take a look. It may help some of you other moms on the fence who are looking for a bit of sanity, or just to not feel so alone.

Thanks Erin, for letting me know about the article!

10 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Erin said...

No problem!

I was very excited to see an article that succinctly shows both sides of the story on people who take anti-depressants.

Yes, there are some people who use the drugs in a manner which they were not intended. People who do not have an anxity disorder, do not suffer from depression, etc. and only use them for 'pick me ups'.

But, a majority of people on SSRIs, or their derivitives, truly benefit from the medication. Many of these people would not be productive members of society with out their medications. Some of them wouldn't even be here today without the help of their medications (myself included).

On a side note, I can't tell you how excited I was to see someone I 'know' quoted one of my favorite magazines! Way to go, girl! LOL!

(And, thanks for the hyperlink! :)

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Those who would criticize a woman's struggles with small children weren't present to see my mother's trials with my brother and me.

Mothers are underappreciated.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

I gave u meds when they quit working. Ihave never heard of the one you take (I was a zoloft + xanax girl). I'm on nothing right now (unless beer counts), but I wonder if I should go back to he doctor and get something. A ot of my stress comes from juggling priorities... and then there are times when I'm so stressed I can't even prioritize.

The new-ness of all therse durgs scares me... I don't want to be a guinnea pig... I just want to feel better.

(then my guilty brain tells me that diet and exercise are the key and drugs just mask underlying problems).

In short, I don't dont what to think. I just hope everyone can find something that works for them... myself included.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Sheba Brooks Moore said...

wow..I really can't complain about my problems...I wish you the best...

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Yoga--

UR
2Good
2B
True!

Thanks for appreciating us women!

We all do rock, and so do you! THanks to everyone who comments here. I LOVE hearing your thoughts!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger momma of 2 said...

Every Mommy needs a helper....

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

F*ck Tom Cruise! You have to do whatever you have to do to get along. Every once in a while you need some help. I tried Effexor & I tried Welbutrin. Neither of them was my favorite, but they helped for a while. Now I'm just on wine & martinis...

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger chirky said...

hi! thanks for visiting my blog! i haven't read a lot here yet, but i like what i see so far! i'll be back! :)

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger The Dummy said...

You're famous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home